Sunday, August 5, 2012

NASA's Curiosity Rover Lands Tonight (hopefully)

Like any self respecting science fiction writer, I haven't missed a Mars rover landing. There are very few events more tense and more riveting than a space mission, particularly when something lands on something. I wish we were about to put some people on Mars, but I'll settle for another rover. If you haven't seen the seven minutes of terror video about the landing, here it is.

<

So they're basically going to fire the retrorockets to slow the whole thing down, then lower the rover on wires. It's the kind of thing a child would invent. I hope it works! I'll be watching NASA TV http://www.nasa.gov/multimedia/nasatv/ starting 10pm central. I hope they've got their bandwidth issues sorted out, because if it bogs down, I'm going to weep.

Labels: ,