Friday, April 27, 2012

Soundtracking My Life

During a recent YouTube marathon, I spent hours enjoying favorite songs from way back when. I was struck by the memories some of these songs brought up. In a fit of inspiration, I decided to capture these reminiscences in writing. The emotions I dredged up surprised me greatly. Here's a sample:






Styx: Crystal Ball
It’s a spectacular summer day. I just finished seventh grade, or at least I think I did. I’m wandering in the back field, feeling like my life is over.
I got an F in biology because I didn’t turn in the final lab. It probably had something to do with the fact that my lab partner was more interested in cutting the frog in half with a pair of baby scissors than dissecting it. But I know I can’t blame anyone but myself.
I hate school. I don’t see the point.
My report card is waiting for Dad. I go inside and up to my room and put on my favorite song. It isn’t the words that console me. I’m crying too hard to sing them.
In a song about the future, it’s the fade out guitar solo that reaches me.
Those notes. That tone.
That’s what I’m feeling.




I'm posting these on the tumblr for my fake band, Bridge Four. I'd love to see more people write these for the soundtracks of their lives.

Check it at out: www.bridgefourband.com

Labels: