Friday, March 4, 2011

Act One

When I was writing the first book, the first twenty thousand words came pretty quickly. I knew how the story started and I knew, in general, where it was going. It was at around 30,000 words that things went down the toilet. Took me a lot of writing, deleting, writing, and deleting to finally break through the middle. Once I did that, getting to the end was relatively simple.

With book two, I know more about the middle. Very creaky start, but I like what I've got so far. It will change before I'm through. Something always comes up that informs the beginning. It's actually fun to go back and rework early scenes to better set the stage for what comes later.  It feels like cheating, but it isn't. It's like time travel.

Added 2111 words to the tally today, which is well above my daily goal. Draft one is at 10.2% on the nifty progress bar. I won't keep this pace, so it's nice to have a few days of buffer.

I introduced a new character today. Danny's grandma. You'll love her.